Where to Pay Your Taxes
Real-Estate tax payments can be made online, by mail, at Chase bank, at a community bank or in person.
When making payments of Cook County Real-Estate taxes by mail:
IMPORTANT – To avoid refusal/rejection of payment and late payment penalties, individual payments of Cook County property taxes submitted by mail must abide by the following requirements:
- If paying in full, pay only the amount that corresponds to the U.S. postmark date that the payment is being submitted.
- Submit one original payment coupon and check per Property Index Number (PIN) per envelope.
- Be sure that your check includes:
- Taxpayer name, mailing address, telephone number and email address (if available)
- Property location (with unit number, if needed)
- Property Index Number (PIN)
- Property location, including unit number
- Tax Year / Installment
This information will help the Cook County Treasurer contact you should there be a question about your payment.
- Use the return envelope(s) supplied with your tax bill(s), or submit current tax year payments to:
COOK COUNTY TREASURER
PO BOX 4468
CAROL STREAM, IL 60197-4468
- Be sure to write your PIN and Volume number on the envelope that you submit.
- Send only the tax bill payment coupon with your check—and keep the top portion of the tax bill for your records.
Your canceled check is your receipt. Within a week, verify that your check clears with your bank. You may verify the posting of your tax payment at the Cook County Treasurer’s website by clicking on “payment status” and entering the 14-digit PIN.
Under state law, U.S. postmarks (not metered dates) will be used to determine whether payments are timely and will determine whether penalties are due.
Mailed payments may be returned if they lack adequate information for processing, such as the PIN, the original payment coupon and/or the identity of the person(s) or entity submitting the payment.
For more information, visit the Cook County Treasurer’s website by clicking here.